Re: Wall and talkd pass binary data

a.e.mossberg (aem@symbiosis.ahp.com)
Thu, 21 Jul 1994 12:26:29 -0500 (EDT)

I wrote:
>>This is a problem which has existed at least a decade and is well known.  If
>>you check comp.risks about 1984 or 1985 you'll see an article by me about it,
>>and I was hardly the first.  We demonstrated it via "write", or just echo'ing
>>directly to the port, to put it in block mode, clear the screen, send the
>>command we wanted executed, and then send the code to tell the terminal to send
>>the contents of the screen.

>From the desk of Christopher Klaus:
> Will this work with vt100 terminals?

Well, then you get into a argument.  What do you mean by "vt100"?  Apparently,
a real, live, standard DEC VT100 terminal did not support the block mode
sequence I talked about in my article, but one version of the DEC VT100 did,
and pretty much every VT100 clone did as well, and the real DEC VT102 I had
also supported it.  Using block mode is not the only to get the terminal to
send something, of course.

aem

--
Andrew Mossberg Network Administrator & Juggler (305) 597-4110 fax 597-4002